Saturday, March 29, 2008

Simple life

These pictures are from a 1840 suburban cottage in Oslo. It’s reconstructed at a folk museum. These pictures fascinate me. I wonder how I would’ve liked to live in the 19th century, in a room like this. If I remember correctly, 12 people lived in these three rooms. This is a true form of minimalism. Was people happier with less earthly belongings? Or were they simply to exhausted to think about happiness? Maybe the women dreamed about bigger rooms, personal space, more clothes and shoes, less hard work…? I don’t know. Maybe I romanticise the really simple life, ignoring all the hard times, the lack of clothes, the lack of money, the lack of food perhaps, the bad health they suffered from.

juli06.jpgThis is the kitchen.

juli05.jpgThis is room no. 1. The picture above the headboard of the bed has some sort of christian saying on it.

juli04.jpgalso room no. 1

juli03.jpgRoom no. 2juli02.jpgRoom no. 3juli01.jpg

No comments: