Monday, August 31, 2009

I've cut my hair

I didn't cut my hair for 1,5 years, but for a month ago I went from long to bob. I know what the Bible says about women's hair.


1. Cor 11:5 But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disgraces her head, for it is one and the same thing as having a shaved head. 11:6 For if a woman will not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. But if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, she should cover her head. 11:7 For a man should not have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God. But the woman is the glory of the man. 11:8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 11:9 Neither was man created for the sake of woman, but woman for man. 11:10 For this reason a woman should have a symbol of authority 3 on her head, because of the angels. 4 11:11 In any case, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 11:12 For just as woman came from man, so man comes through woman. But all things come from God. 11:13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 11:14 Does not nature 5 itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace for him, 11:15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 6

I really enjoyed my long hair, knowing that it was correct according to the Scriptures, but it became too difficult for me to have my hair long and not cover it. I felt a need to cover this glory, but I don't have the courage to do so. So I thought it's a disgrace to have ones hair uncovered, and it's a disgrace to cut it. By cutting it I felt that I removed the glory I needed to cover... This is difficult for me. I really want to cover my hair, but I fear the attention I will receive if I start to cover. All the explanations, questions, stares etc. Sometimes I think it would be easy to move to another place and start covering, but that's more of a daydream than reality.

I think I will have my hair long again, to let it grow from now, but what should I do when it becomes long and "glory"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mastina, I just want you to know that I recently discovered your blog, and I appreciate it. I'm an American Catholic, whose interest in modesty and veiling brought me to your site. (I veil at Mass). I just want to offer you a little moral support about your covering, and encourage you to not be hard on yourself about not covering all the time. Living near a large number of covered Muslim women can make you feel like you're falling short. Stay strong in your Catholic Faith, and keep this matter in prayer (as I know you will). I will keep you in prayer, along with all Catholic women who desire to do the right thing.

Anonymous said...

oh gosh - you cut your hair - husband's nightmare! oh well, let it grow back...here's what i suggest...just put it "up" or in a bun in public...and let it down at home (honestly, i don't think you need to worry about covering in public...but if you'd like to wear a veil at Mass...well that's great